Friday, January 29, 2010

Glenn Friedel - Photograms



I have no idea why I haven't written about this yet. Glenn Friedel is one of my favorite photographers. His work consists entirely of photograms, all life-size (a la Rauschenberg's early work).

Back in 2006, a friend and I made a spontaneous trip down to the city from upstate. We weren't really sure what we wanted to do, so we looked on the Juxtapoz site, which lists gallery openings, for an opening to go to. We chose a random one at the KFMK Gallery in Chelsea and went. I believe it was Glenn Friedel's first show in New York.


 

I instantly fell in love with the "simplexity" (I absolutely hate this word, but am hearing it all over the marketing world lately) of his work. The images he produces are just simply stunning, but I can only imagine the process of creating them is more laborious than I can imagine. I mean, one-off lifesize photograms of the human body? Nuts.

With titles like Awakening, Inner Light, Empathy, Reincarnation3, and Temptation, it's no surprise that his photograms evoke a variety of feelings such as freedom, innocence, and passion.

From time to time, I check his website for new shows, and it doesn't seem like he has any in the works yet for 2010. If I do see that's he's showing around here, I'll be sure to post it.

1 comment: